"My grandmother loved her gift so much that she wants me to show her how to make it!"
--N.J., 1st grade
No problem.
After our Earth Day exploration of the trash on our campus, a re-use project seemed perfect for Mother's Day. Consummate collectors, Mrs. D. and I have been amassing glass bottles.
Each child selected a bottle and used a brush to spread on a mixture of glue and water.
Next, the children carefully applied a mosaic of colored tissue paper.
To seal the tissue paper and make the exterior of the bottle water-proof, each project was completed with a coat of acrylic gloss.
Presentation is important. So we also spent some time on gift-wrapping. First, fold the top of a paper sack over and punch a row of eight holes.
Use a marker to write a message on the front .
Choose a ribbon and wrap it around the sack twice to measure the length you will need. Cut.
Place your gift inside. Unfold the flap and thread ribbon through the first and last holes.
Refold the flap and wrap the ribbon around to the back and through the second hole from the end.
Pull to tighten.
From both ends, begin to weave the ribbon toward the center. Then tie a half-knot and a bow.
"On Mother's Day I made my Mother's Day present like a letterbox. I hid the clues and that led her to the hiding place where I hid my present. My mother had a funny reaction. Her eyes grew big. Then, she started to jump around the house. My mom loved it."--D.Z., 2nd grade
"For Mother's Day I hid my gift and hid the clues. I gave my mom the first clue and she had to find her gift. When she opened it she loved it and put a flower in it. She is planning to put it in her office."--M.M., 2nd grade

No comments:
Post a Comment