"Nature Museum" is a Wilderness Awareness School practice that taps into children’s (and adults’!) foraging, treasure-hunting tendencies. A natural complement to field work, the idea is to provide a place of honor for our collection of fabulous field finds. Just the presence of these objects’ simple natural beauty nurtures the spirit, but this isn't a "museum" in the sense that implies look-but-don't-touch, beautiful-things-behind-and-under-glass. Nature
In the classroom, we’ll be examining the objects and asking ourselves, “What do you notice? What is it? How do you know? What has happened to it? Would it look different in a different season? Where would you look to find more of these?” We’ll be making observations, doing some research, and drawing conclusions.
But there’s also learning to be had in the act of collecting. Collecting is a way to help you pay attention and notice what’s already there. It heightens awareness. Even in the city, wildlife is all around us—if you take the time to look.
During the few days when I was collecting the first objects for our classroom Nature Museum, I saw (and heard) so much more than I usually do! Just as I was thinking, “Boy, it would be nice to have an eggshell for the Nature Museum . . .” I spied a small one, gloriously white, nestled in the tall green grass just inside my courtyard gate! Driving down my parents’ street, a Red Shouldered Hawk swooped low and slow across the road, in front of my car, and onto a long, open Oak branch. A few days later, I noticed a woodpecker perched on the trunk of a tree along the trail where I walk. As I hustled potted herbs out into the rain one evening, I disturbed two toads who were living a sensuous, scented life among the mint leaves. Twice (in two different places), I heard a screech owl’s call.
More than just the objects you can carry home, Nature Museum is a habit that leads you to become alert to nature’s sights and sounds, patterns and cycles. What are we finding now? What are the sights and sounds of this season? What are the insects doing? What are the birds doing? What are the plants doing? Our seasons are a little wonky here, but still we are witness to nature’s c
Try incorporating Nature Museum into your family’s life, and notice how it influences your connection with nature. Your home Nature Museum can be as simple as a seasonal display or a beautiful bowl near the washer where foraged fascinations can be emptied from pants pockets. If you have the space, consider adding baskets of resources or even shelves of observation tools and field guides. I love the idea of a “museum” curated with information labels for the finds that warrant more permanent display. Happy collecting!
REMINDER: Collect in ways that are not harmful to you or the landscape.

No comments:
Post a Comment