
One of our annual winter traditions is to
force an amaryllis bulb. (We do this by tricking it into thinking it has already experienced winter and spring has arrived.) Sometimes we go so far as to name the bulb ("Amaryllis Ann" or "Bulby," for example). We mark each stalk with a piece of colored masking tape, and each day, we measure and chart the growth of the stalk on a color-coded lengthening line graph. What we've noticed is
flowers wilt. "It died!" They also be

nd towards the light. Over the Thanksgiving break, I also inadvertently experimented with water deprivation. Note to self: plants need water. The short orange line at the top is the proof. The "orange" stalk was going strong until I absentmindedly withheld water. The stalk shriveled and fell over, without blooming. The "blue" stalk gave us a couple of gorgeous flowers, but as all flowers eventually do, they wilted. We have high hopes for our newest "purple" stalk! It has already grown 7 centimeters in just 3 days.

12/19/08 Update: We're heading home for the holidays, and the amaryllis stalk is now 38 1/2 centimeters tall. I have assured the children I will be more
vigilant about water this time!
12/24/08 Update: 44 centimeters
I promise I'm keeping track of the water!
12/29/08 Update: 48 centimeters
12/31/08 It's starting to bloom!

1/2/09 53 centimeters

1/3/09 55 centimeters

No comments:
Post a Comment