Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Yes we can!

It’s a funny thing, the way scarcity and determination spawn creativity. Yes we can! So often is the case with teaching. Back in November (first thing in the morning, the day after Election Day), I reserved a television for today.

This morning, I managed to fashion an antenna from a paperclip and a borrowed coat hanger so that we could actually use the television to watch the inauguration. ‘Can you see it now?’

Yes, we can!

We watched the crowds with awe and amazement at the vast number of people who willingly stood in the cold to participate in this historic event.



We watched as President Elect Obama, with tears in his eyes, waited to enter and be sworn in as the 44th President of the United States.

As President Obama made his eloquent inaugural address, I wondered how many children fully understood the meaning of his words. Whether or not they understood his speech today, I am grateful for the paperclip and coat hanger that allowed my students to see him give it. I know they appreciate the courage it takes to be a "first." I still remember gathering in a classroom to watch the launch (and explosion) of the Challenger Shuttle, as Christa McAuliffe was to become the first teacher to travel to space. Today is a joyful day that I hope will become one of those “Where were you when...” moments embedded in the children’s memories. Celebratory shouts (from adults) rang out on our campus, followed by celebratory cupcakes, sponsored by our PTO.

What advice do the children have for our new president?
“I would tell President Obama not to make any crazy rules. On 2nd thought he’s a very smart and intelligent man so that he probably won’t do that.” “If I talked to him before the inauguration I would tell him to do good, give it your all, and do your best. I would tell him he’s a great man and I am very proud of him for trying.”—CJ, 3rd grade
“To live in a better place we shouldn’t have others littering on school grounds because who would want to live in a trashed world?”—MH, 3rd grade
“I would tell him to end the war and get people’s jobs back.”—JB, 3rd grade
“I would tell our soon-to-be-president Barack Obama that maybe he should use peaceful problem solving words. Martin Luther King didn’t start war, did he? (I think not.)”—EN, 3rd grade

We watched until George W. Bush stepped onto the helicopter to officially depart from the White House. Our nation is changing before our eyes, and I am hopeful for a bright future. Wheels up!




What we’re reading:
I Have a Dream by Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
Underground Railroad (
KIDS DISCOVER)
Henry’s Freedom Box: A True Story from the Underground Railroad
by Ellen Levine
Amazing Grace by Mary Hoffman
The Story of Ruby Bridges by Robert Coles
Amazing Grace by Mary Hoffman
Dinner at Aunt Connie's House by Faith Ringgold
Civil Rights (KIDS DISCOVER)
Growing Up in the Civil Rights Movement (
AppleSeeds)

No comments:

Post a Comment