Saturday, May 30, 2009

The Spirit of Adventure

Note: I had this entry all written and ready to go, just waiting for a photo or two, but when I saw Pixar's "UP", I knew had to change the title in its honor.

Last week on the METRO, one of the young adults who asked me about what we were doing spoke wistfully about how much he enjoyed field trips as a child and how that was all over once you grew up—no more field trips. I wanted to tell him that doesn’t have to be true. As an adult, you can still go on field trips! You just have to plan them yourself—and then GO!

A few months back, I ordered a book from one of the Scholastic book clubs: 101 Places You Gotta See Before You’re 12! by Joanne O’Sullivan. As I am wont to do when I've discovered something cool, I immediately began carting it around to show to everyone. They tease me for bringing “show-and-tell” when I come over for play dates, but all of my adult friends were jealous of this great little book! I won't share all 101 places, but I couldn't resist sharing a little of it with you this summer—and adding some Houston hints and a few "places" of my own to the list!

The book opens with: “Get Up & Go!
LONG AGO, THE EARLY EXPLORERS SET OFF ON THEIR JOURNEYS with nothing more than a spirit of adventure and the stars to guide them. Sometimes the only information they had about their destination was an ominous phrase written on the edge of a map: Here there be dragons. Today, we have global positioning satellites to tell us where we are all the time, and guidebooks that tell us exactly what we should see and will see when we get to a certain place at a certain time. True, people don’t get lost in jungles or eaten by sea monsters much these days, but sometimes, having too much information can make exploring a little less exciting.

That’s where this book comes in. It isn’t a book, really. It’s more like a scavenger hunt. Instead of hunting for things, you’ll be hunting for cool places and amazing experiences. . . . We’ll give you some clues . . . The rest is up to you. No two kids are exactly the same, so no two journeys will be the same—which makes your discoveries truly your own. You may not live in the Age of Explorers, but you’re definitely the right age for exploring. Before you’re 12 is the perfect time to get out and see the world.

So, what’s your reward at the end of this scavenger hunt? A collection of incredible experiences, a lot of fun new discoveries, amazing memories, and a lot of great stories to tell your friends. Even if you don’t see all these places before you’re 12, you’ll have made a great start to a lifetime of exploration.”

Yes! Get out there and see the world! "Touch it. Smell it. Taste it!"

But you don't have to go far or spend a lot of money to have a great adventure. Houston offers so many fun finds (many of them free!), right here in your own backyard!
Dig into the Summer Homework, and plan a field trip for your family and yourself!
I'll help you out with some challenges and clues along the way. "Adventure is out there!"

No comments:

Post a Comment