"If a red-haired teacher in a funny dress shows up at your school--start packing!"
The children began asking early this year. "Do you think we'll be needing a substitute . . . ?" "Do you think Ms. Frizzle will come?" Even the adults at our school were wondering, "Sooo . . . is Ms. Frizzle visiting this year? What topic is she especially interested in right now?" Every year about this time, I get a bit of a scratchy throat. Fortunately, Ms. Frizzle usually jumps at the chance to substitute in Room 28.
When I called in August to check in, Ms. Frizzle was distraught. Her seamstress had retired. And well, Ms. Frizzle is a bit high-maintenance when it comes to clothing. Off-the-rack just won't do!I'm not sure what compelled me to say yes. I've already got plenty on my plate and my sewing skills are seriously slim (limited mostly to the button-sewing I learned in my Montessori kindergarten class). "Oh, but I hate to disappoint the children," despaired the Friz. How could I say no after that? We made an agreement. I would serve as her new seamstress if she agreed to substitute in Room 28, should a need arise . . .
The fun begins at the fabric store. Selecting just the right fabric is serious business for the Friz. But the real fun starts when she takes the bolt to the counter to be cut. "What are you making?" idly inquires the fabric cutter, as she unrolls our bright bolt of printed fabric. "A dress," Ms. Frizzle responds matter-of-factly. A look of pained deliberation passed over the fabric lady's face. I could tell she was debating between selling us fabric or rescuing us from a frightening fashion faux pas. Where did her allegiance lie? When the Friz wandered off to look at some stegosaurus-shaped buttons, I quietly explained who she was and why a person might need to make a dress of say, glittery solar system fabric. The fabric lady breathed a sigh of relief that was almost audible. Her whole body relaxed. "Ohh."
"What's the matter with the clothes I'm wearing?"
Now, for the next dress . . .
What We're Reading:
The Magic School Bus Lost in the Solar System by Joanna Cole
The Graves Family by Patricia Polacco
The Vanishing Pumpkin by Tony Johnston
The Little Old Lady Who Was Not Afraid of Anything by Linda Williams
My Mama Says There Aren't Any Zombies, Ghosts, Vampires, Creatures, Demons, Monsters, Fiends, Goblins, or Things by Judith Viorst
Skeleton Hiccups by Margery Cuyler
Will all the room 28 visitors and adventures every come out in a book or books?
ReplyDeleteGFA
Glad Room 28 got Ms. Frizzle,
ReplyDeleteIn spite of morning cold and drizzle.
Hair of red, no strands uncurled.
The dress? Oh so out-of-this-world!
But whoa! The shoes how totally comical,
The whole effect -- astronomical!
HAPPY HALLOWEEN
Okay... I am moving Nathan to Houston when it is time for him to start school so you can be his teacher!
ReplyDeleteHappy Halloween!
Amelia
Hooray for Ms. Frizzle! I wish she would sub at our school. Do you think she may have some dates open?
ReplyDelete