I start the ball rolling by giving first graders (and any other new students) a lesson on my Me Box. A Me Box is a special box that's all about me. The box I've chosen for mine is one that my crafty grandmother painted years ago.
Each of the objects inside is a clue about the person who assembled the box. They might be hints about hobbies or souvenirs from significant life events.
I gather the children in a circle, and (one at a time) each is invited to remove something from the box.
The children act as investigators--making observations and drawing conclusions about the objects. "What is it? What is it made of? How is it used? Why would I have included this in my Me Box? What does it tell you about me?"
Each child is invited to create a Me Box and bring it to share with us on his/her birthday. The "boxes" come in all shapes and sizes--a tiny suitcase, a shopping bag, a decorated shoebox . . . a child named Starr used a star-shaped box for hers. The contents are equally varied: sports trophies, family photographs, early schoolwork, old journals, artwork, rocks . . . One child brought in a cast from a broken arm. It warms my book-loving heart that the children so often include a favorite book in their Me Boxes! And I love watching each child give us "a lesson" about him or herself!
A great book for adults: The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien--The title essay explores the ways in which the objects we carry speak about who we are and what we value.
No comments:
Post a Comment