That's right. It's costume time again. Family Literacy Night is Wednesday night, and the theme this year is fairytales. Each room will offer a fairytale read-aloud and an associated hands-on activity. I did some fast thinking and snatched up "Jack and the Beanstalk," to be paired with stalk measuring and seed planting activities. Mmm, science and literature. My favorite!
Mrs. D (Mistress of Procurement that she is) procured green and brown paper for fashioning said beanstalk and snack-size plastic cups for seed planting. Almost done. . . . Then our principal mentioned at the faculty meeting last week that she was expecting everyone to be in costume for this event. Uh, oh.
Google to the rescue! I found this kids' costume and figured it would be both inexpensive and "quick" to make a Ms.S-sized version. As I was pondering where to acquire green beanstalk tights at this time of year (Is there a season for opaque green tights?), I suddenly remembered that I already own a very old pair of green tights (having kept them way beyond any obvious usefulness). Even more impressive, I was actually able to locate them! Savers vindicated, once again!
"If it's somethin' weird and it won't look good, Who ya gonna call?"
I turned to a friend (dare I say, just as crazy as I?) who dressed her family as the characters from Charlotte's Web for Halloween. Having fashioned from tights Charlotte's octo-legs and Templeton's tail, she qualifies as an expert. With what should I stuff them, dear Liza, dear Liza?
"You can have my stuffing. Come quick! I'm home alone! (and I'm supposed to be cleaning.)"
Ah, timing is everything. The choice between beanstalk production and house-cleaning is clear!
I rushed over, green tights in hand, and--after a few unpublishable jokes and a longer-than-I-care-to-admit period of time cutting and sewing tights--I am now the proud owner of an almost-
Note to self: Shirts have seams, and seams consume fabric. Oops!
No comments:
Post a Comment