Our recent fall-ish weather has got me in the mood for sipping hot spiced chai and baking.
When I saw this One Bowl Apple Cake, I knew I had to make it! Yumm! So much cinnamony apple goodness, I'd like to pass it on, with the added bonus of Maya's beautiful photographs of apple trees . . . with apples on them! This is an amazing and rare sight for those of us who live in Texas.
Cooking with your family is a fun way to reinforce learning at home, incorporating volume measurement and practice with fractions. You can also discuss chemistry when you're in the kitchen. Review the states of matter (solid, liquid, & gas) and discuss physical and chemical changes. For example, cutting or grinding an ingredient into smaller pieces creates a physical change. Mixing sugar and apples together is another physical change. Point out the bubbles in a baked cake to show that gas was produced by a chemical change.
Cooking with your family is a fun way to reinforce learning at home, incorporating volume measurement and practice with fractions. You can also discuss chemistry when you're in the kitchen. Review the states of matter (solid, liquid, & gas) and discuss physical and chemical changes. For example, cutting or grinding an ingredient into smaller pieces creates a physical change. Mixing sugar and apples together is another physical change. Point out the bubbles in a baked cake to show that gas was produced by a chemical change.
This recipe is a simple one, with only one bowl to clean! Children can easily and safely chop peeled apples. They can scoop, measure, pour, and stir. Of course, children are also good at bowl-licking and taste-testing . . . (so are teachers). Enjoy!
Note:
I added a nut topping to mine.
2/3 cup chopped walnuts
2/3 cup brown sugar
~3 Tbs. cold, sliced butter
Mix together with a fork and sprinkle over the top about 5 minutes before the cake is finished baking.
2/3 cup chopped walnuts
2/3 cup brown sugar
~3 Tbs. cold, sliced butter
Mix together with a fork and sprinkle over the top about 5 minutes before the cake is finished baking.
Kat's Kitchen Chemistry:

I was totally thinking of making that cake as well! ;)
ReplyDelete