Thursday, October 22, 2009

Weight watchers




"It's losing weight!"





No, our apples are not observing some sort of produce "point system" in an effort to slim down for summer, but we have been watching their weight (well, "mass").




Last week, we peeled apples,














carved a face,









and measured the mass.












Since then, we've been tracking the changes:


measuring the mass,







recording it in a chart,







and creating a line graph to depict the results.









Observation: "It's losing weight!"
Yes, the apples are steadily losing mass.
So the question of the day is: Why is matter doing a disappearing act? What's happening here?

We've noticed a few other changes as well:



"Ours has a beard! Ms. S, our apple has a beard!" (S.G., 1st grade)




Yes, indeed it does.





And this one, well--"I'm melting . . . . "








I feel sure that in a drier climate, this experiment would go in a far less disgusting direction . . . one that would not require wet wipes to clean excess "beard" from our balances. But then what fun would science be without a little "graphically gross" every now and then?

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous10/23/2009

    Oh my goodness, what a great experiment! Every time I read your blog I get more excited about going back to school to get my Elementary certificate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10/26/2009

    Cool experiment! I have to try it out with my grandson! I wish I could visit room 28!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11/09/2009

    That is so cool! Someday I have to visit room 28! Every experiment you post on the blog gets better and better! I have to try out this experiment.

    ReplyDelete