
I know I’m mixing metaphors here, but it's amazing when odd bits of two-dimensional nothing transform themselves into something.
The pipecleaners and felt were just lying around in “the back” of our classroom, waiting for their day to shine. As previously confessed, the opaque green tights were artifacts of a tackier wardrobe era. (It is quite possible they were once worn under acid-wash denim shorts.) Mrs. D again proved worthy as Mistress of Procurement by conjuring a Jack hat! It did not escape the children (not much does!) that Ms. Frizzle loaned her shoes for the cause. When I went over to borrow them, I could see the wheels turning as she eyed my beanstalk . . .
This project was not the “quick” assembly I envisioned. Somehow, in my hands, these things rarely are. “Boy, you’re spending a lot of time on this,” commented one innocent bystander. Yes, that’s who I am. Far too much time was spent communing with the glue gun, thoughtfully positioning and attaching individually-cut felt beans and pipecleaner tendrils to the “almost done” stalks. Definitely among the top ten signs of "You Know You're Crazy When . . ." But it is a fabulous beanstalk.Those who paddled out to school on this rainy evening were in for a treat! Our Family Literacy Night activities were a success.
Mrs. D (a.ka. Jack's poor mother) read Jack and the Beanstalk while I mutely pantomimed.
We discussed the parts of a seed and looked at seed embryos under the microscope.

Each family assembled a grow-your-own-beanstalk take-home kit,
and the children worked together to measure Jack's beanstalk.
No comments:
Post a Comment