Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Celebrating . . . snow?

Our principal (and my mother) teases that I deny our children candy and parties for good behavior because we expect them to behave properly without giving them candy or sending a handful of select students to the "Party with the Principal."

It's true. We are clear and consistent about behavior expectations, and the children understand the reasons for each expectation. In fact, most of the behavior norms in our classroom were developed by the children themselves. They don't need candy or parties to do the right thing for our community. Plus, I'm mean.

Not really--we find lots of reasons to celebrate . . . together! It's just that our celebrations are more about enjoying one another together in community, rather than rewarding individuals. Today, we celebrate snow--again. It's not April yet, but it sure feels like an April fool. Snow in Houston . . . again?! Come on! There are reasons I moved back to Houston after four cold years of college in Ohio.

Mrs. D has proposed a new tradition: Every time the weather forecast includes snowflakes on the precipitation indicator ("Like when they really say it's going to snow--not just a maybe snow"), we should have hot chocolate. She called last night to ask if I'd bring my electric kettle.

. . . I'm certainly not one to turn away chocolate! Books and hot chocolate--what could be better on a cold, gray afternoon?
What We're Reading:
Snow by Uri Shulevitz

1 comment:

  1. What a great idea! I am heading to the kitchen now!

    ReplyDelete